Even though it never snows where I live, I grew up in a place where the cold of winter seeps into your bones and December really does hold the darkest night of the year. Sparkling lights, hot cocoa, and melancholy music all seem to make more sense in that atmosphere, but the nostalgia still feels real and I’m grateful for that.
Here’s a list of some of my favorite holiday songs this season. I tried to make sure they were either slightly left-of-center (maybe even off your radar) or so extraordinarily beautiful that you simply must have them.
Happy holidays, my friends.
01. Ron Sexsmith – “Maybe This Christmas”
02. The Weepies – “All That I Want”
03. Over The Rhine (feat. Terri Templeton) – “Silent Night”
04. Sleeping At Last – “Silver Bells”
05. Hem – “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”
06. Brandi Carlile – “The Heartache Can Wait”
07. Matthew Hall & Meagan Moore (from The Polar Express) – “When Christmas Comes To Town”
08. The Rescues – “All That I Want For Christmas (Is To Give My Love Away)”
09. Fall Out Boy – “Yule Shoot Your Eye Out”
10. SHeDAISY feat. Rascal Flatts – “Twist Of The Magi”
11. Sufjan Stevens – “Get Behind Me, Santa”
12. Gayla Peevey – “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”
"Everything Runs On Energy..." In The Huffington Post by Josh Allan Dykstra on January 28th, 2016
Lessons From SANG by Josh Allan Dykstra on October 15th, 2012
2017: Year In Review by Josh Allan Dykstra on January 1st, 2018