Even though it never snows where I live, I grew up in a place where the cold of winter seeps into your bones and December really does hold the darkest night of the year. Sparkling lights, hot cocoa, and melancholy music all seem to make more sense in that atmosphere, but the nostalgia still feels real and I’m grateful for that.
Here’s a list of some of my favorite holiday songs this season. I tried to make sure they were either slightly left-of-center (maybe even off your radar) or so extraordinarily beautiful that you simply must have them.
Happy holidays, my friends.
01. Ron Sexsmith – “Maybe This Christmas”
02. The Weepies – “All That I Want”
03. Over The Rhine (feat. Terri Templeton) – “Silent Night”
04. Sleeping At Last – “Silver Bells”
05. Hem – “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”
06. Brandi Carlile – “The Heartache Can Wait”
07. Matthew Hall & Meagan Moore (from The Polar Express) – “When Christmas Comes To Town”
08. The Rescues – “All That I Want For Christmas (Is To Give My Love Away)”
09. Fall Out Boy – “Yule Shoot Your Eye Out”
10. SHeDAISY feat. Rascal Flatts – “Twist Of The Magi”
11. Sufjan Stevens – “Get Behind Me, Santa”
12. Gayla Peevey – “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”
*BONUS TRACK* Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip – “O Holy Night”
TV Series Here | Download Here
Holy Xmas music, Batman! I know I’m a tad tardy here, but nonetheless, this is the best holiday mix I’ve ever heard. The first track I happened to click on the Weepies’ ‘All That I Want’, ’cause I don’t know them and I was curious. Lo and behold, it’s a song I’ve been looking for since I heard it in some commercial or other three months ago! Thanks for that, and for your great suggestions (even if I’m a month or so late in taking them).
Hey Lori, thanks so much for stopping by. Boy, do I love me some Weepies; glad to hear they made your day as well!